Sungei Besar Umno division chief Jamal Yunos says he has the proof to back allegations against Seputeh MP.
PETALING JAYA: Sungai Besar Umno division chief Jamal Md Yunos is unfazed by the defamation suit DAP MP Teresa Kok filed against him.
In fact, Jamal is waiting for the writ of summons to be personally handed to him or his lawyer.
“This is just a way for Kok to cover up her wrongdoings, by making it seem as if my allegations were false,” he said to FMT.
“I have contacted my lawyer but he didn’t receive the writ. Neither have I. It’s her right to file the lawsuit and I’m waiting for it.
“And I will leave it to my lawyers to decide what would be the appropriate action.”
Kok, who is Seputeh MP, filed the defamation suit at the Kuala Lumpur High Court this morning. The lawsuit is over Jamal’s allegation that she had abused and misappropriated Selangor’s Skim Mesra Usia Emas (SMUE).
According to Kok, Jamal’s actions have damaged her reputation and her work as the people’s representative.
But Jamal stood by his allegations, and claimed that if there was no truth to them, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) would not have raided Kok’s office last week.
“We are all aware of MACC’s procedures. If my allegations were unsubstantiated, the MACC wouldn’t have gone to her office but they did.
“I would not have made public statements on her wrongdoings if I don’t have the proof or the necessary documents to back them up.
“It’s because I have the proof that I exposed her abuse of Yawas’ (Yayasan Warisan Anak Selangor) funds. And I’m doing this because I, as a child of Selangor, have the responsibility to protect the rights of Selangoreans”
In a statement last week, Kok said Jamal’s “false accusations” against her and her colleagues was a “dirty tactic” to defame them before the next general election.
On Friday, MACC officers raided her office, asking for the original documents for SMUE, which falls under the Yawas fund.
The raid was believed to be based on a series of police reports made by Jamal against her and her DAP colleagues.
The first was filed on March 14, claiming that politicians from the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur and Selangor had taken funds meant for welfare from Yawas instead of disbursing the money to eligible recipients.
He identified Kok, Sekinchan assemblyman Ng Suee Lim and a PKR rep whom he did not name, as the alleged culprits.